The voice, the pen

I have often noticed how, what one feels, another thinks. Why, then, should we not share those thoughts and feelings? It might make things clearer for all... Here, I am offering snippets on whatever gets me thinking, with the intention of sharing these moments with you, hoping for a dialogue of sorts. Whether a word, a sentence, a whole text, please, share.

Friday 10 September 2010

Daring

It often surprises me that people I know believe I am a daring person. It's cute, really. I am one of the least voluntarily adventurous people you could think of. In fact, I am often so worried at doing/not doing things that the reasoning behind  a choice is apprehension. For example, I take on new chances when they turn up because I am petrified at the thought I might be missing out on something good that won't come by again. Urgh!! It gives me the chills. Or, an even worse scenario (nightmare central, in my book): looking back in time and regretting missing out on the chance.

It got me thinking about what daring really is. Basically, it functions like a pushing hand at the back, making sure we move forward towards self-development and progress. It is through it that we achieve perpetuity. And it is the greatest element we need to really love - and if you don't believe me, think of slugs and spiders, who literally take their lives to the very brink (they dare, in other words) in order to reproduce. And how beautiful they are when they do so!

Granted, beauty is not the first thing that comes to mind when you think of those two, but please take my word for it: it fits. I discovered this through a documentary, and if I could remember its name, it'd be here in neon. But I digress... Slugs, those slimy boneless yucks that eat holes in our beloved plants, have an amazing mating ritual. In a nutshell, two slugs meet on a leaf or branch, wrap themselves about each other and produce a string of slime strong enough to hang from. Yes, that's right: they literally "hang by a thread" while copulating. And, if this daring was not enough, they then open up an astounding white plume (their reproductive organ) that fans itself against each other. And it is lodged in their head! So they open "heart and mind" in a way.

Spiders are less showy, but still surprising. The male, smaller than the female, must tap and "massage" the female so they can copulate - he wedges himself under her, and they seem to dance. If he is not a good enough dancer, and nimbly steps away after the act, she will kill and eat him. In fact, even if she does not, he will die shortly after the mating. He literally "gives it all up for his kids".

Now, who of us is actually willing to go to such extremes? How many of us has done so? I am not daring, I am fearful at my thoughts. Dare, that is the key to love. If we have to be daring, that seems to me the best way to do so, the best reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment