The voice, the pen

I have often noticed how, what one feels, another thinks. Why, then, should we not share those thoughts and feelings? It might make things clearer for all... Here, I am offering snippets on whatever gets me thinking, with the intention of sharing these moments with you, hoping for a dialogue of sorts. Whether a word, a sentence, a whole text, please, share.

Monday 21 May 2012

'Sunday Best'

We all have a 'Sunday Best' item. For some, it's that oh-so-special dress that makes us look (and feel) like a million dollars; for others, a particular scent; a common one is 'the good dishes' with the gold leaf border and delicate flower motif; or, in my case, a fountain pen.Whatever it is, we all have an item we keep for special occasions, for those particular days that deserve a detail of superiority, for those tasks where a simple plastic ballpen just won't do. 
 
Funny, that.

See, I have long had this 'Sunday Best' fountain pen. Now, I love fountain pens - they glide over the page; they are uniquely personal (don't share yours or the nib'll be ruined); and they reek of permanence, of times when things were built to last merely by changing the odd piece here and there. Whatever you write with a fountain pen, should be worth keeping for ever. My 'Sunday Best' pen was kept sorely for my diary writing.

But today, when I tried to use it, it wouldn't oblige. My diary writing being far from a daily activity, the cartridge was empty  and the ink in the nib had dried up, blocking any new ink from flowing. My 'Sunday Best' pen, carefully kept for a higher and lofty purpose, was simply not up to the task. It had forgotten how to be a pen, an item which is meant to be used daily, to jot down all sorts of things.The absurdity was great, I realised: I had kept this particular pen away from daily use, reserving it to retell and document my daily life! I had stunted its purpose and, in so doing, I had very nearly 'killed' the pen itself.

If we keep the best bits for 'Sunday Best', what are we doing to our experience of our life? We are, in fact, limiting our whole, purposeful, living to a seventh (if that!) of the Greatness we could be experiencing. Even worse, we might be missing out on fabulous related experiences.What's the logic in that?

So, no more 'Sunday Best's for me!

I'm going to use that pen any old time I want to, even to write down the shopping list; and the new red lipstick? I'm wearing it right now, while writing this, as it was while doing some yoga in the park, though no-one is around; and those special teabags I was given? In the mug, yum-yum chai after lunch!

Don't keep your Life's Joy on hold for Sunday Best. Make every day, every activity, worthy of being taken as special. Otherwise, you run the risk of that dress being too big/small/out of fashion before you've worn it ragged; of never inviting enough friends over for dinner lest you break a pretty saucer or spill wine on the carpet; of never writing that novel or going up on that 'open mic night' stage.

Simply Love, enJoy and Live, waiting for nothing.

Everything you are is 'The Best'.

4 comments:

  1. hmmmmm..i totally agree..a lovely, lovely post..thank you..x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to please.
    So, enJoy your Tuesday/Sunday!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hace tiempo que pienso y siento así y que lo practico. Estamos aquí "cuatro días", en una dimensión material, por llamarlo de alguna manera, y las cosas son para disfrutarlas aquí por eso mismo, porque son cosas. No sólo hay que prestar atención a detalles que nos hacen más felices a nivel espiritual, sino que tenemos todo el derecho a disfrutar de lo material. Me refiero a lo que tenemos, por supuesto, no a que tengamos que acumular más y más.

    Esta semanas, curiosamente, he estado disfrutando intensamente de la sensación de disfrute que produce esta forma de vivir y ha surgido como tema de conversación varias veces con personas muy cercanas. Han sido ellas las que lo han iniciado, igual que tú ahora mismo, Diosa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gracias Maite, por leerme siempre con tanta visión. Sí, es muy intenso el poder vivir sin miedo a perder, sino siempre a ser. La sincronicidad, como siempre, nos alienta con la verdad - aquello que compartimos, porque resuena con fuerte eco.
    Bendiciones, luz y abundancia, Diosa.

    ReplyDelete