The voice, the pen

I have often noticed how, what one feels, another thinks. Why, then, should we not share those thoughts and feelings? It might make things clearer for all... Here, I am offering snippets on whatever gets me thinking, with the intention of sharing these moments with you, hoping for a dialogue of sorts. Whether a word, a sentence, a whole text, please, share.

Wednesday 2 May 2012

Action, not reaction

People often complain that 'life isn't fair', that 'shit happens', that 'they don't deserve it'... So when I insist that Life is, Always, Perfect, they think I am some deluded (or drugged) optimist, who has no real grasp on reality - or, worse still, who chooses to close her eyes to that same harsh reality.

I used to think this lack of meeting ground stemmed from a different concept of the Universe, where I consider all (Natural or fortuitous) events as part of a wondrous Cosmic Balance Economy; while the others seemed to consider the Universe a hostile place, intent in making it hard for us. Then, this evening, sudden realisation!! It is not a matter of different universal perception, but rather of our own part in that Universe that makes such a divergence.

In other words, people tend to spend time reacting to the world around them; I, on the other hand, would rather act and observe what my actions create.

Now, when I say 'act and observe', I'm not talking about breaking rules for the sheer heck of it, or being a rebel and trailblazer, or even the need to produce and uncommonly wondrous gadget. What I mean is taking action regarding any situation I notice coming, so I am fully responsible for said action and its outcomes. When you take full responsibility, you are in a stronger position, which means whatever happens (positive or negative) will affect you much less powerfully than otherwise. If, instead, you wait for things to happen so you have a guide on how or what to do, then whatever events surround you will have absolute deciding power over you - you are weak.

Action gives us power, thus courage: we become our own heroes. Reaction makes us weak, thus fearful: we become victims.

You still don't see it? Let's take an example: who is responsible for the current economic crisis? You will probably say 'the banks, the economists' - and you are partially right. They are responsible, but so are we. They are responsible because we gave them the power, agreed to follow their rules, and still today have done little but complain (are you still using a bank, a mortgage, credit cards...?). What do I say to this? I am responsible! So, I take action: learn about the options, change my economic schemes, get rid of the plastic. Is it hard? In the beginning, maybe a bit. Later? Well, it all becomes mere results.

Let others worry about the waves in your wake - take the helm.
Act, don't just react!

No comments:

Post a Comment