The voice, the pen

I have often noticed how, what one feels, another thinks. Why, then, should we not share those thoughts and feelings? It might make things clearer for all... Here, I am offering snippets on whatever gets me thinking, with the intention of sharing these moments with you, hoping for a dialogue of sorts. Whether a word, a sentence, a whole text, please, share.

Monday 10 June 2019

Tropical paradise

Oh, yes, the dream of the tropical paradise, who hasn't heard of it? Basically, it's the same as the kitschy Xmas film, or the documentaries on the lifestyles of the rich and famous in Hollywood: it's eternal playtime, people have time to meet and greet, life's easy.

I live in a hot climate, and can get to a beach in about 40 minutes by public transport. The rain is measured in mm/year, and palm trees are native to the area. It's a 1st World country, so I have all mod-cons. Basically, it's quite close to the basic requirements of the dream.

So, do I live in paradise?

Well, no, I do not.
For one thing, I don't like the heat and miss the seasons. Also, being fair-skinned, I cannot really go to the beach too often, at least not during sunlight time. Additionally, I have a job! Which, I agree, is wonderful in that I'm done at 4 pm, thus I have a lot of free time every day; but, still, it's not like I am on holidays every day. Plus, yes, there are all the sociopolitical issues in the area, nothing to scoff at, although honestly not that big a daily deal once you stop listening to the news.

So, do I feel cheated?

Well, no, I do not.
I have moved (let's be honest, I might move yet again in future!) countries, continents!, a few times. Every place has elements that throw us for a loop, some more than others. The magic, the real magic, is in the fact that I can help adapt any place to what I consider a better version of it. If that does not work, or if the idiosyncrasies are too great for me to live with, I can choose to pick up and leave!

We are not trees. We can move.
People, sometimes, complain about their lives, comparing them to what they dream they should be like. They forget that their lives, at any point, could change. They forget that that change can be given, sure, but mostly that they, themselves, can effect that change. True, it may be that they have obligations (children, jobs, mortgages...); still, the main obstacle is their own perception of those obligations as chains. And they laden the chains with the responsibility for their lack of movement.

I do not live in a tropical paradise. No, I do not. I live in a real place, in a real moment. For now. Because this is my choice. And if I grow roots, fine; then, like a tumble-weed, I'll detach myself and seed somewhere new.

What about you? Where do you live? Is it your paradise? And, were you to choose it, can you tumble free?

No comments:

Post a Comment