The voice, the pen

I have often noticed how, what one feels, another thinks. Why, then, should we not share those thoughts and feelings? It might make things clearer for all... Here, I am offering snippets on whatever gets me thinking, with the intention of sharing these moments with you, hoping for a dialogue of sorts. Whether a word, a sentence, a whole text, please, share.

Sunday 24 February 2019

I didn't know that was there...

Last week, I had an appointment to meet up with a friend after work. Once bitten, twice shy, I realised getting on a bus, any bus!, would mean time stuck in rush hour traffic jam. I checked my map, and found out I could be at our meeting place within 40 minutes if I were to go on foot - roughly as long as it would take me by bus, on a good day. I actually like walking, so I set off.

The route, it turns out, is pretty much a straight line: leave work, turn right, over the bridge, a slight zig-zag, oh, look! The city Court building! I didn't know that was there. Even more, I didn't know there is a little area to sit around a pool. In the pool, which at that time had no-one around, there are water lilies (only pads, as it's winter). And, oh! wow! in between the pads, flashes of bright red, white and black - there are koi fish there! Looking even closer, there were other varieties of fish, tiny and dark, darting around.

I had to continue, lest I be late! So, off I went, again on (pretty much) a straight line, along a quiet street with beautiful trees. Then, there was a gap in the trees and a fence with something like posters on it. Since there were words written, what could I do but stop to read them? Ah! This, it turned out, is an Embassy. I didn't know that was there. The posters, half in Czech, half in English, explained how each of the images shown are representative of particular architectural styles found in the Czech Republic. How enticing, which one did I prefer? I could really get lost, travelling again. But no, maybe some other day.  I was still a few minutes away.

Nearly at my destination, my friend was still on a bus. I decided to continue on my straight line as it would lead me to the beach. Alas! It started to rain, so I changed my mind. Instead of continuing ahead, I turned left, looking for a cafe that looked inviting and quiet enough. I didn't find one, rather I came across a square that had been under remodelling for about 2 years. I hadn't clicked onto the fact that that was there! I took a video for a friend who loves architecture, with whom I had seen the square as it used to be mere days before the works started, before taking refuge in a shopping centre.

Finally, I went back to our meeting place. It was a mere 10 minute walk away, despite all that meandering. I sat down at the restaurant, pondering about habit, about what we define as comfort, as opposed to 'trying something else', with its wonders, its surprises. I acknowledged I was happier than I would have been had I simply got on a bus, followed familiar streets, or simply sat in a coffee shop to kills time.

Thanks to that 'adventure in spite of the rain', I now had an idea where to go to see koi; the beautiful buildings in a far away country I rarely consider; how easily I could get to the sea after work, if I so wished; how nice the new square looks, even though the fountain still has to be re-clad. I had simply rediscovered some of my city, and how marvellous its nooks and crannies can be.

When was the last time you went exploring in your city? When did you choose to simply try the next high street, instead of the regular mall? When did you get surprised by a café where they have no idea what venti, pumpkin flavouring, or Styrofoam mean?

We live in glorious environments, if only we dare try them out. I know I am glad to now know that was there. I am looking forward to learn of other spots, of unexpected corners.

Whether you live in a city, a village, or the middle of a forest, I wish you adventures and the joy of new places to call your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment