The voice, the pen

I have often noticed how, what one feels, another thinks. Why, then, should we not share those thoughts and feelings? It might make things clearer for all... Here, I am offering snippets on whatever gets me thinking, with the intention of sharing these moments with you, hoping for a dialogue of sorts. Whether a word, a sentence, a whole text, please, share.

Wednesday 20 October 2010

The language of love

When we want to express love, how can we best go about it?  How do we best understand to ourselves, how do we explain it?

In English, love is sort of either an accident, a prison or a war: you fall in love, you are attached to someone, or you conquer the one you want. In some mediterranean languages, love is actually quite circular, looping back as it reaches brfore going back to oneself: lehitahev (Hebrew), s'enamourer (French) or enarmorarse (Spanish). I don't know other languages, but I wonder...

At the end of the day, it is feeling that best expresses the plethora of facets love has. It is the message in Extreme's 'More than words'. So why do we need still the words? Why do I sometimes crave hearing them? And why is it specially difficult to tell myself that I love myself when I look into the mirror?

Probably, because unlike the love of your parents, who can hug you; or your lover, who can kiss your body; or your friends, who show their appreciation in many cheerful and supporting meetings... unlike all those, we cannot feel any outer source filling up our emptiness. Thus, we rely on words - and those words fail us.

What to do, then? Reflect, on both its meanings: reflect on what love really is, what it means to share it;  reflect the feelings that those who love you, so they multiply like in a never-ending caleidoscope. If so many people find you worthy, accept it! Love is speaking loud and clear:

With or without words, you are love. Inside and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment